Nuvola Player 2.0.0
Nuvola Player 2.0.0 was released on September 17, 2012. Changes since Nuvola Player 1.0.5:
Ported to GTK+ 3
This release is a GTK+ 3 port of release 1.1 to solve issue with a bug in WebKitGtk 1.8. All following features are common with release 1.1. Series 2.0.x requires GTK+ >= 3.4 and GTK+ 3 ports of other libraries.
Michael Mims created integration of Amazon Cloud Player.
New Service Selector Screen
New service selector screen is based on a mock-up by Alfredo Hernández. Initial version featured screenshots of services, but these was removed in release 2.1.2.
With Last.fn extension, you can now scrobble information about currently playing song to Last.fm without a need of third-party user scripts.
Lyrics extension provides a pane with lyrics of a currently playing song.
Command Line Interface
You can control Nuvola Player from terminal via command
Service Specific Settings
Maintainers of service integrations can use service-specific settings.
Many features became built-in extensions. Almost all features enabled by default in the previous releases must be explicitly enabled. The build-in extensions will become real extensions in one of future releases (maybe 2.1.x) and extensions API will be stabilized.
- Troubleshooting actions were moved to Preferences dialog, tab Advanced.
- Links to bug tracker, blueprints and questions were replaced by single link to support page.
- Links to Google+, Facebook and Twitter page were moved to About dialog.
- "Only toolbar" user interface mode is default and follows Elementary-like style. Other user interface modes are preserved.
You can enable auto play feature on tab General at Preferences dialog. Nuvola Player will then try to start playback, when service is loaded. Success of this action depends on state of the last visited page of a particular service.
Google Play, 8tracks and Amazon Cloud Player use HTML5 audio support for playback instead of Flash plugin. However, you will need a MP3 decoder for GStreamer multimedia framework. See FAQ for details.
WebKit WebView Inspector
Maintainers of service integrations can debug their work directly in Nuvola Player with WebKit WebView Inspector.
- Introduced web plugin blocker that blocks all web plugin object not necessary for playback.
- Dynamic HTTP(S) proxy resolver is used by default. It respects proxy settings in GNOME including Proxy Auto configuration (PAC).
nuvolaplayer -Q/--quitcommand line argument, use
- Removed support for user scripts.
- Removed support for Ubuntu 10.10 Sound Indicator (Sound Indicator in Ubuntu 11.04 and later is still supported).
- Services 8tracks, Grooveshark and Hype Machine are orphaned.
- Added Add/Remove service functionality.
Nuvola Player 2.0.1
Nuvola Player 2.0.1 was released on October 12, 2012 as a bug fix release.
- Fixed bug: Configuration was not saved when built without debug symbols. (Closes LP:1057696.)
- Name of the MPRIS plugin was changed to "Remote Player Interface" (previously "Media player remote").
- Nuvola Player client provides better error message for invalid DBus proxy. (Closes LP:1054548.)
- Added workaround for incompatibility between Flash and Nuvola. (Closes LP:1058586.)
- Rdio: Flash plugin not required.
- Lyrics: Split diacritics from letters when creating AZLyrics name. (Closes LP:1064042.)
- Amazon: Sandbox fixed to support more countries. (Closes: LP:1059020.)
- Updated translations.
Nuvola Player 2.0.2
Nuvola Player 2.0.2 was released on December 23, 2012 as a bug fix release.
- Service selector screen no longer contains screenshots, because they are non-free. The screenshots are not copyrightable because of lack of creative work, but contain copyrighted material (album covers, design of a page). (Closes: LP:1076134.)
- Google Play Music service integration was updated to version 3.12. Thumbs Up/Down actions are not available, if the state is already toggled on. (Closes: LP:1063426.)
- Ubuntu Sound Indicator changed D-Bus path in Ubuntu 12.04, so Nuvola Player was not able to detect it to hide window instead of closing it. This was fixed. (Closes LP:1079339.)
- Translations were updated.
Nuvola Player 2.0.3
Nuvola Player 2.0.3 was released on May 1, 2013 as a bug fix release.
- Google Play 3.14: Fixed links "Shop this artist" and related to be opened in a default web browser. (Closes: LP:1095739.)
- Notifications: Pass actual album art image data over dbus instead of a filename to prevent caching. (Closes: LP:1099825.)
- 8tracks 4.0: Service integration was adopted by Michael J Coyne. Fixed breakage (alert loop) caused by a change in 8tracks web interface. (Closes: LP:1035490, LP:1127488.)
- Google Play 3.16: Fixed resolving of a name and an artist of the current song. (Closes: LP:1138576.)
- Amazon Cloud Player 3.3: Recent changes in Amazon Cloud Player introduced Amazon marketing redirect. Sandbox pattern has been updated to reflect these changes. (Closes: LP:1134756.)
- Rdio 3.0: Service integration was adopted by Michael Mims and relicensed under 2-Clause BSD license. Service switched to Flash-based playback instead of HTML5. Fixed low initial volume. Fixed resolving of the current artist and song. (Closes: LP:1049253, LP:1165388, LP:1156591.)
- Updated translations.
- Updated copyright information.
- Services selector: If the currently running service is upgraded/downgraded it is immediately reloaded, so it isn't necessary to restart Nuvola Player. (Closes: LP:1175141)
- Updated URL of a download page for update packs.
Nuvola Player 2.0.4
Nuvola Player 2.0.4 was released on July 5, 2013 as a bug fix release. Changes since 2.0.3:
- Google Play: Google Play web interface has been changed many times introducing breakages in Hide Google bar feature, parsing of song details, playback status and available actions. (Closes: LP:1189370, LP:1189851, LP:1194122, LP:1194601)
- Google Play: Google Play UI has changed and shows also album name of the current song, so it's possible to pass it to Nuvola core. (Closes: LP:853719)
- Google Play: Flash plugin has been enabled, because Google Play Music All Access feature requires it (HTML5 audio is not supported). (Closes: LP:1181307)
- Google Play: Also added reason why all store links are opened in a default web browser.
- 8tracks: updated metadata parsing. (Closes: LP:1167378)
- PopupWebView: Pop-up windows were sometimes unusable, because page area was tiny and rest of the window was empty. (Closes: LP:1181950)
- Run-in-background feature no longer requires tray icon. (Closes: LP:1188969)
- MPRIS can-go-next/prev actions weren't updated because of a bug. (Closes: LP:1183640)
- Updated translations.
Google Play Music fails to play songs
If Google Play Music fails to play songs and produces error messages "Google Play is having trouble reaching the server to play your music", make sure you have installed a MP3 decoder for GStreamer media framework. See FAQ for details.
Grooveshark: You're all out of focus!
If Grooveshark produces error message "You're all out of focus! Zooming in or out may cause problems viewing the site. You can fix it by pressing CTRL+0 or CMD+0 for Mac users.", you don't have compatible Flash plugin. See FAQ for details.
Some services fail to detect Flash plugin
You have to install a Flash plugin that is compatible with Nuvola Player. See FAQ for details.
No integration with Ubuntu Unity
Many features were rewritten as extensions, you have to enable them in Preferences dialog. See FAQ for details.